CAI – Certified Auctioneers Institute
A professional development course for auctioneers.
The professional designation awarded to practicing auctioneers who meet the experiential, educational and ethical standards set by the NAA and its Education Institute.
The Certified Auctioneers Institute is the most respected professional designation an auctioneer can acquire. Commonly referred to as CAI, the program focuses on developing the skills required to operate a successful auction firm and business.
CAI designees pride themselves on being a part of an extraordinary network of professional auctioneers who possess the knowledge and skills needed to provide their clients with outstanding services. The CAI designation communicates to attorneys, trust officers, government officials, accountants and others affiliated with the auction industry that you are committed to continuing education and are dedicated to professionalism, integrity and excellence in the auction profession.
CAI is a program completed over a three-year period (CAI I, CAI II, CAI III). Every March, auctioneers from across the world get together for a week of intensive training. In addition to classroom instruction, CAI students network with fellow auctioneers and develop lasting business partnerships, mentoring relationships, and friendships.
The following is a sample of the curriculum covered at CAI:
- Marketing and advertising
- Business ethics
- Understanding legal, financial and accounting principles needed to run an auction firm
- Using technology to enhance your business
- Promotional Strategies
- Learning effective methods of selling real estate and personal property at auction
- Negotiating Skills
- Business Planning
- Valuing Assets
To attend CAI:
- Be a practicing full-time auctioneer for at least two years prior to attending the Institute)
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent
- Application to attend must be approved by CAI Committee
- Complete the Prerequisite Designation Course before attending or hold another NAA designation
To complete the designation:
- Complete all three years of CAI
- Complete all assignments
To maintain the designation:
- Pay yearly designation fee
- Obtain 24 hours of continuing education every three
Member price – $1,270 (each year)
Non-member price – $1,570 (each year)
Contact the NAA Education Department at (913) 541-8084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org